Friday 29 January 2016

January 29, 2016

Bonnie: We had a nice surprise tonight when we got home from doing the shopping. The bulb that President and Sister Clayton gave us at Christmas has blossomed! See the picture below. I don't know if I can keep it blooming, but I'll try.We were blessed to have 5 plants given to us when we moved in here from the previous occupants. Neither of the African violets are doing well, but the fern and the two other ones seem to be doing great. It sure makes for a better environment in our apartment.
Today I ordered 59 name tags for the missionaries. It's the largest order I have done yet for those. I also did a Staples order and spent quite a bit of money doing it! Toner ink is expensive and we go through lots of it. I'm over halfway done with the ESL flyers, too. It will be busy Monday and Tuesday in preparation for MLC so it's good that I've done this much.
Tonight we went to Costco and Walmart, got gas for the car, and then washed it. I really don't like grocery shopping here. It's hard to find things (the stores here are definitely not arranged the same as in the US) and the selection is not very good, (unless you are from Italy, the Philippines or any other Asian country, or are Hispanic.) I'm glad it's over with for another week. At least we will have a tempting treat plate for the missionaries on Wednesday.
I hope everyone has had a good day today. My love to all!
Love, Mom/Bonnie

Bob: Not much happening today, but very busy. We have a new couple coming in next week and no apartment for them yet. We found a two, but neither worked out. Can't look at anymore until Monday because the realtor is having car problems. But we have a nice "young missionary" apartment to put them into.
A couple of sisters called today and said not to forget them when we give out the bus passes for the month. Well, we had forgotten them. The Z/L sent me their list for bus passes and then one of the sisters of a threesome moved and took the car with her. Thus 2 sisters don't have transportation right now. They'll buy their bus passes Monday, but I'm not sure what they are doing right now. They didn't say anything and I didn't ask.
Don't know if I told you last night or not, but one of our apartments had a change in the firm that bills for electric. I wondered why we haven't gotten an electric bill so I called them yesterday afternoon. They have been sending the bills to the apartment instead of the Mission office, where I had asked them to send the bills. So I called the Sisters living in that apartment. They had the bills, but they thought they were their copies so they didn't think they had to say anything. I paid the bills today and then charged the 3 sisters the cumulative late fees. I'll tell them about it next week. They each got charged 0.50 for the 2 late bills. Those were the smallest late fees I have ever seen.
Had another great experience at the bank today. After standing in line, and I was the only person in line for a while, I finally made it to a teller. I had a deposit of $360 cash only. It took him over 5 minutes to finally get it done. Then I asked him if I had the authority to have a $1000 check from Petty Cash cashed. He immediately said NO. I asked him if he would mind checking as I thought I was authorized to do that. Thus he began his computer search. After a few minutes he said 'Excuse me', and got up and took his cash drawer back to the vault. He returned and continued his search. A few minutes later he said, 'Excuse me', and got up and went back to the vault to get his cash drawer. A little later he said that yes I was authorized, as well as Bonnie Martin, and Weatherford Clayton. The problem was the names were not listed where they should have been. That's why he couldn't find them. But through a series of emails he was able to find it.
So when I got back to the office I wrote an email to the Branch Manager and told her about my experiences today and in the past. I would imagine from the thoughts expressed in the email she could sense my frustration. Anyway she wrote back apologizing for everything and said there would be no problem cashing Petty Cash checks.
Told Salt Lake about my experience also. The person out there that is the church officialwho works with CIBC bank has told me that no one in Canada but me has these problems with the bank. I guess I just have a talent for that.
Well I'm going to head to bed. It's after 11, but the alarm is off for the morning. Love to all and good night brothers.
Dad/Bob


No comments:

Post a Comment