Thursday 21 January 2016

January 21, 2016

Bonnie:  Today was a rather frustrating day because I talked to UPS about a bill they sent us. If a parent sends a package that is worth less than $60.00 Canadian and it is marked a gift there will be no customs fees or taxes. However, if it is worth over $20.00 Canadian there will be a brokerage fee charged by UPS. Why this hasn't been explained to me before now I don't know. It makes me wonder why we need a broker for these packages after all. When I asked UPS why we needed a broker she couldn't answer me! I was all ready to get us out of this deal, but thought I better not until I understood a little bit more about it. Laura told me afterward that brokers ensure that the packages are not opened and searched at the border. I guess that's reason enough to have one. So, in preparation for sending out new information to the parents, I asked the girl on the phone to email me information about UPS, some dos and dont's about mailing packages through them. She said UPS doesn't do that. The parents have to look up the information on their web-site. That's the first place I will go tomorrow when I have time. Oh, and they also said we owed over $100.00 to them, and then said, after I asked about that, that about half of it is paid. Because two packages are on the same invoice they cannot say any of it is paid until all of it is paid. So, tomorrow I will try to reach the parent of the other package.
I went home just before 5 with Sister Erickson tonight and left Bob working at the office, trying to catch up. He got home about 9:00. I was also able to get the wash done and relax, although there were not enough washers when I went down the first time. This meant starting one load and waiting until it was finished so I could use the same washer for my second load. I've never had a problem finding an empty washing machine until tonight.
I hope all of you have had a better day than I have! Thank heavens, the gospel is still true!
Love, Mom/Bonnie

Bob: I am trying to rent an apartment for a couple coming the 5th of February. They will be staying at a different location than ours because they work several miles away from here. We have made application and I thought everything was going fine. Today the Landlord sent me their 'legal lease' and asked me to sign it. It is 22 pages long and full of a lot of legal jargon so that I don't know what it means. I think I will get on the phone with Salt Lake tomorrow and ask them if they can take a look at it and give me their opinion. I don't think I can get a quick legal opinion from SL however. Will have to decide pretty quickly whether to give up on this place and look elsewhere.
Lots of little problems keep reoccuring which just takes time from the routine items. Some of them have fallen through the cracks and it is taking extra time to get everything back in order. Oh well, maybe tomorrow I'll get things back on track.
My love to everyone and good night brothers.
Dad/Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment