Wednesday 21 October 2015

October 21, 2015

Bonnie:  Last night I was too tired to write anything. But, tonight, I have started before 10:15 pm to write so I'll be able to put down a few words. Yesterday and today were crazy busy. There are so many "little" things that the missionaries need, sometimes it's hard to remember everything. So, after a busy day yesterday with transfers and what seemed like a hundred missionaries in and out, in came the father of one of the missionaries going home the next day.  He was picking up his son in the morning and wanted to be sure he knew how to get to the office.  He came just before Bob and I were about to leave. When he finally left, I panicked because the office was so messy after transfers. There was a pile of empty boxes in one corner, and three huge bags of left-over clothing, plus about six pairs of boots in a pile in another corner. On top of that, our tender mercy jar of candy was covered with post-it notes, so many that they were falling off onto the floor and the top of the counter around my desk area. I knew they would be taking pictures and I wanted everything to look good. So, I made sure we were there a little bit early today so I could clean up some. I never did get to the clothing and boots, but I put them outside of the office in the foyer of the chapel temporarily. The boxes went into 120 and I took care of most of the post-it notes. Then, I have some sweet-smelling dusting spray that Sister Gillen left me that I used to clean up with. I'm so glad I did it. We witnessed a very special time when the parents came to pick up their missionary. It reminded me of some of the most precious moments I have had welcoming home my sweet sons and daughter from their missions. And, then, at the same time, another father and grand-father came by to pick up their son, too--a Christensen! The grand-father reminded me of my Dad in some ways. Maybe we're related! So, it was a very special morning. Then, later today a "visa-waiter" came in with the Clayton's. She may be here for month or longer, depending on when her visa is approved. She is a sharp YW from Montreal and will be a blessing to our mission, even though it may be for a short time. So, she  had to be given our introductory talks by each of the office senior missionaries. And then, an new Elder had to come in for his Canadian health card. So, that added to the day's activities.
I talked Bob into leaving early so we could have a relaxing night at home, and then he informed me that he had to take box-springs and a mattress to Kitchener because an Elder did not have a bed to sleep on. So, we did leave early, ate at Wendy's, (Bob's favorite place), and traveled about an hour to do the delivery. It went rather quickly, actually. Anyway, I'm glad to be home. We still have dishes in the sink from Monday, but they aren't much thankfully. (That's because I wash the dishes I'm going to use in the morning before breakfast. - Bob) Maybe we/Bob will get to them tomorrow night.
I hope all of you have had a bit more relaxing few days than I have! My love to all of you!
Love,
Mom/Bonnie

Bob: If you read Bonnie's comments carefully then you know what I contribute to housekeeping!!
The day went pretty well. We have 2 apartments under contract and turned down a third apartment. We are actually going to keep one of the apartments we intended to close. The landlord called and wanted us to stay. She said she would get the phone reception problem resolved for us. She called back this morning to tell me she has talked to the phone company. They sold her a device that is supposed to increase the phone signal reception in the apartment. So we are going to give it a try.
Now we will switch our attention from the North York Zone to the Ossington Zone. They have some of the worst apartments in my opinion. There are several apartments in high rise buildings. Most of the apartments have ongoing problems, including bed bugs and roaches. I want to get the missionaries out of those places and into some homes. Grace, the realtor that Elder Gillen found, has been a real asset. She is ready to move the other missionaries. So we'll go to work on it next week. I told Bonnie I want to give Grace a small gift with a Book of Mormon as a token of our appreciation for her efforts.
The trip to Kitchener tonight went fine. It drizzled just a little on us, but didn't affect the speed of traffic. Bonnie's email wasn't working on her phone so she actually talked some. It was a pleasant trip.
Time for bed (10:20). Wishing peace and happiness for everyone. Good night brother.
Love,
Dad/Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment