Wednesday 1 July 2015

July 1, 2015

Bob: Forgot to mention last night that we got a new missionary in Tuesday. He is 18 and has already graduated from college. He has a 17 year old brother that is studying physics at BYU. His dad is getting a doctorate in history because he likes history. It will add to the 8 college degrees he already has.
Today was Canada day and the country almost shut down completely. But the gas stations were open. I saw some fast food places open, but no grocery stores or department stores were open. It must be against the law. Even Walmart was closed.
I cooked the waffles for the missionaries today. Bonnie made up the batter. We used two big pitchers of batter and fed about 30 hungry missionaries. Got out of the building about 7:30 and then Bonnie got a phone call (see below). We were invited to Sister Ludlow's tonight for a barbeque, but we were too tired to go. The call gave us an even better reason not to go.
Things are moving along okay at work. Don't know if I'm falling behind or letting something go, but things seem pretty calm. Did not get the big phone and text report done last month, but there is a local sister that works in our office that knows a great deal more about EXCEL than I do. She and I are going to tackle the report for June next week.
Sounds like the fireworks are over. Think I'll shut everything down and go to bed.
Read a conference talk out of the Ensign tonight. It is entitled, "Stay by the Tree" and was given by Elder Kevin W. Pearson, of the Seventy. In it he said, "Once we enter into covenants with God, there is no going back. Giving in, giving up, and giving out are not options." Reminds me of the time I was in Priesthood class with Bob Briggs when he said, "Quit? I didn't think you could do that!" He said it on the 20th of October, 1998.
If you wonder how I remembered that date, I write down with the date the things people say that are to me a profound sermon in a few words. Another example is by a friend in Lindon: "It isn't the conflict that caused the problems; it is the lack of a resolution."
Everyone have a good night.
Love,
Dad/Bob

Bonnie: I had a real treat today. Just as we were getting into the car to go home from the office, I got a phone call from my children--Shannan, Jeff, Lori and Scott and their spouses and children.  Of course, I didn't get to talk to everyone, but it was great to visit with those I did. To my children--just because I am busy don't let that stop you from calling me! Or you can text a time, and I will try to call you back. It's mostly free for me to talk to you! I am seriously going to get skype on my phone and ipad. That way I can see you and talk to you.
 MLC went ok except that I was going to buy lots of strawberries and some bananas on the way to work this morning, but it was Canada Day, so all the stores were closed. So, we ran out of fruit to go with the waffles we made for the missionaries.  Next time I will be more prepared. It's so much fun to visit with the missionaries. I hope to have some of them over for dinner on a Saturday, because it's the only day we have, with time to prepare a meal. In fact, we are having some sisters over this Saturday and it will be July 4th.  One of them asked me, "Are you from the states?" When I said yes she was quite happy! I need to come up with an easy Fourth of July dessert because I shop in the morning and straighten the house as well that day.
Tomorrow I will be coming up with a new supply order, after I see how depleted the supplies are from  MLC. It's really hard to have enough of everything the Sisters and Elders seem to need, but I am trying.
Well, the fireworks are going off and I want to get to bed early tonight. I hope everyone has had a good day.
Love, Mom/Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment