Wednesday 13 April 2016

April 13, 2016

Bonnie:  It's 7:30 pm and we are home and enjoying it tremendously! Bob is actually asleep on the couch, snoring to beat the band. I have been to the Dollar Store for a few things. It's still light out and it's not too cold.
The last two days, Monday and  Tuesday, have been hectic with transfers, 10 new missionaries coming in and 18 leaving. It was especially long yesterday being at the Stake  Center by 7:30 am and not getting home until after 10:00 pm because of Institute. The lesson was very spiritual, though, and I am glad that I went. There were missionaries in all day long yesterday until about 3, cleaning me out of supplies. I only have one box of copies of the Book of Mormon left, no Book of Mormon Stories and no pocket scriptures. Many of the missionaries had special requests, too. I had a list of about 8-10 things to work out today for them. The hardest thing I had to do was to call a Zone Leader about his missionaries leaving the door to the Family History Library open in a Stake Center. I hope it is resolved by now. So, after the long day yesterday, it was wonderful to leave early today. It was about 4:30 when we left and we only had two stops to make.
Tomorrow I have the honor of making the laminated pocket cards, which list each companionship by zone and all of the phone numbers in the mission, plus other important numbers. It's a huge job trying to be sure all of the information is correct. It's important that I do it for those of us in the office and the APs, though. We use the pocket cards all the time.
I  hope that everyone is enjoying some semblance of spring, And I  hope it will start to warm up here soon. May you all have a wonderful evening. And to our kids--give all of our grandchildren a hug from their Nana and PapPap and tell them we love them.
Love, Mom/Bonnie

PS: Something very special happened last week. When missionaries change apartments we very often get their unused supplies. As we were looking through some scriptures left to us, we saw a Book of Mormon in Ilokano. This is one language we don't have on the shelf. Then, as I was filling the MLC order, sure enough, a missionary asked for an Ilokano Book of Mormon for one of his investigators. I know this was no accident! The Lord had His hand in this, I am sure.

Bob: I am not so sure I was snoring because I didn't hear anything!! I rest my case.
Today was a short day because my computer quit working as I was entering the rent adjustments that will effect the rent checks sent out. I only got about 6 of them done and there are at least 24 in total. So I called Salt Lake to report the problem. The tech signed onto my computer and tried a couple of things and determined I had a problem. So she gave me an incident number and said she would pass it on upstairs so they could work on it. She then said, "You'll probably hear from them in a couple days or so." To which I replied, "A couple of days!! I have to process the rent checks tomorrow and mail them on Friday." She said she would see what she can do, but I'm not expecting the problem to be resolved quickly. Until then I guess the rent goes unpaid.
I got a much more surprising email from Salt Lake this afternoon. The email was announcing a large operating upgrade to the church financial system we use, IMOS. The upgrade will begin at 5 PM mountain time on May 12th, at which time the financial system will be turned off. There will not be anyway to pay people, to write checks, request fund transfers, or anything. With such a large upgrade they hope to be back up and running on May 20th!!!!!!!! Yes they are planning an 8 day shutdown. They're hoping to back up sooner, but it could go longer. I wish our mission was over on May 15th!!!
This will be a nightmare when it comes back on line. I am not looking forward to this.
Actually I got the email before the system quit today. It was so depressing that I told Bonnie let's go home.
The other problem is the new apartment we need with Vertica, our present landlord. They asked for some more information today. The application still isn't done. The Youngberg's must think the Canada Toronto Mission doesn't have anyone running things. They get here from Washington and we don't have a place for them to stay. We send them to Smiths Falls without an apartment to move into. They have to go out and purchase their own furniture. They're only in Smiths Falls for about a month and we call them back to Brampton, again with no apartment to move into, or furniture for their apartment when we get one. And they're not really sure what they will be doing. Such is the life of a senior missionary.
Well it's time to continue my nap. Hope every one is well. I send everyone my love and say good night brothers.
Dad/Bob

Look at the ice on the tree that is blocking the angel Moroni

No comments:

Post a Comment