Monday 23 November 2015

November 23, 2015

Bonnie: I have been home about 5 minutes and Bob is already back from taking home our 3 YSAs from Family Home Evening. Sis. Erickson and I cleaned out their old apartment kitchen for the Cannon's who will be here Wednesday. I didn't expect him for another 20-30 minutes. It's nice to relax before we turn in for the night.
Something funny happened Friday I want to share. The Staple's delivery guy came with several boxes.  As he was unloading, he asked me about the term "Sister" noticing my name tag. Our conversation went something like this: He wanted to know if the men in our church were called "brothers".  I said we are all brothers and sisters, really, and that yes, the men were called brothers unless  they were called on missions, and then they were called "Elders".  Then he said "I guess you have Fathers, too," which clued me in to the fact that he was Catholic. I said no, other than the fact that everyone has a father and mother, right? Then, he said, "But what about Mothers? You have Mothers, right?" I guess he was thinking about Mother Superiors in the Catholic Church. Again, I said not like the Catholic Church, just that we all have mothers and fathers. It made me chuckle. I told him that if he had any more questions to be sure and ask.
I am about out of room for packages in the office. I've used every spare shelf I can find. I think we'll have to start putting them out around the office, and probably in President Clayton's personal office.
I don't know what else to do. What's bugging me the most is that several parents have said watch for my package and give it to my missionary asap. About six haven't come in yet! One is some medication for Elder Monson, who is President Monson's grand-son. I just pray the packages get here. Every day I get notifications from one or two of our carriers with some kind of problem. It's driving me crazy! Being Mrs. Santa Claus is pretty stressful!
Well it's Bob's turn. Have a happy Thanksgiving week!
Love, Mom/Bonnie

Bob: I hadn't thought of Bonnie as Mrs. Santa Claus. She is going to get packages for another couple of weeks and then they'll be given out at the Zone Conferences. I can't help but think if she was the real Mrs. Claus that had to store packages for 364 days she would go crazy!! But I know she just wants to make it special for the missionaries. The Clayton's wanted to know which missionaries were getting packages and which were not. Sister Clayton said she has some friends that would be sending some gift certificates for those who weren't getting anything. Bonnie reminded her that the gift cards from the US couldn't be used in Canada. The look she had let us know she had no idea that was the case. The gift certificate thing will have to be rethought.
Got the go ahead with the Vertica apartment today. Then I told them we didn't need the apartment now until December 16. The leasing agent wasn't too happy but seemed to understand since our original date of Nov 16 has passed. I am waiting for the incoming CES couple to send me their automobile information and then we'll sign a lease beginning December 16.
Called SL about the problem with buying money orders. The person I talked to put me on hold so he could run the problem by the accountant. Finally he got back on the phone and said they thought I should just write myself a check and cash it so I could then buy the money order. I told him that wouldn't work because once I know I need the money order, I have to get it within 48 hours. When I write the check it must be approved by the President first. Then I would have to deposit it and wait through the 7 day hold the bank puts on Canadian checks. He said, "I see the problem. Let me talk to them again." So I am put on hold again. When he comes back he says" I can't find anyone now. Would you call back in about an hour?"
So I call back in about 2 hours. And he says they are planning on turning my Bank of America card into a debit card! That way I could withdraw cash when I needed it to buy the money order. That sounds okay to me.
I hop in the car and take some things to the post office. I'm going to ask them about using my card to purchase the money orders. The guy at the counter looks at my card and says, "Tthis is an international card. There is no way the post office would ever take it as a debit card no matter what they do to it."
When I get back to the office I get a call from a senior accountant. He says, "Guess what I want to talk about." Money orders I say. That's right. He then goes on to say they can change my card but he knows the banks, post office, etc. would not accept it as a debit card. He says the only solution he sees is to put the money in someone's local account. I told him I have a local account. He is surprised by this, but says he can work with that. He tells me he will send me authorization to write myself an advance to hold in my personal account and then when we need to purchase a money order I can withdraw the money and purchase it. (I think I'll frame that letter! I've received it already.)
Time to go to bed. Love to all and good night brother.
Dad/Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment