Tuesday 11 August 2015

August 11, 2015

Bonnie:  We just got home and it's just before 9.  We left about 6 but we needed to stop at Costco for some prescriptions. Then, Bob was hungry for a Wendy's baked potato so we stopped there. And then he wanted to buy some socks for a missionary who has very little money, the missionary from Haiti. We went to Sears for that. I also bought a pretty necklace to match my new skirt. It was a fun evening, even though we got home so late. What's not to like about shopping? It was a very good day, too, for several reasons. A sister who had finished her mission in January came into the office, with her mother. She was visiting several people and having a wonderful time. Then, some sister missionaries came in to check on various things with the office staff. We had to have lots of hugs, of course. I love giving hugs and receiving them. After all, we all need at least 8 hugs every day, so I've heard. Then to top off my day, after our meeting with President Clayton when it was close to lunch-time the APs went to buy some shawarmas to eat. This is a Persian food and a popular item with the missionaries. When the Elders came back they had one for me, saying it was a buy two and get one free! I was so surprised. We had talked about good places to eat before and they knew I wanted to try one. It was delicious. It's a mix between a large burrito, except with pita-like bread, and a wrap. It is full of several kinds of meat and vegetables and spicy sauces that make it really good. Wasn't that sweet of them? The next time we go out to eat I'm voting for the "Shawarma King"!!
May your evening be full of pleasing surprises!
Love,
Mom/Bonnie

Bob: It was a pretty good day. I was able, with the help of the Brampton Zone Leaders, Elders Patrick and Vang, to get the trailer unloaded. The wet couch and chairs were in the storage hut over night. We put them outside in the sun while we unloaded the trailer. Once everything was out of the trailer we put the couch and chairs in the trailer. Although they don't feel damp at all I'm guessing letting them sit in the trailer under the sun will dry them out even more. I'll check them out tomorrow and see how they are.
If you are interested in what a shawarma is then try this website (HTTP://www.shawarmasking.ca/). On the way home after doing the shopping Bonnie told me about the Assistants bringing her back the sandwich. She said half of it is in the fridge for me!! Fine time to tell me. I'll heat it up tomorrow for lunch along with my usual bowl of cheerios and strawberries.
Wendy's baked potato with butter and sour cream hits the spot for me. And the next day my sugar is usually a little lower than normal. Can't explain that, but that is what happens.
President Clayton sent me an email asking that I look into our costs as we are way over budget. So in today's meeting with him I asked what specifically he wanted me to look at. He said for one thing, our phone costs are over budget. I said that last month everything was under budget. He asked if I saw the email about it. I said I hadn't. So he pulled it out and showed it to me. As I looked at it I pointed out that he was interpreting it wrong. The chart showed our 'projected costs' for the year in one column, our budget in the next column, and our proposed 2016 budget in the next column. The first column for phones was 79xxx. The budget is almost 120,000 and the proposal for next year is 80000. I said we are projected to be 40,000 under budget for this year. He was so relieved.
Then I opened the 'Statement of Operations' for July and printed it off. It shows that 58% of the year is past and we have spent less than 50% in all categories. I gave the President a copy of that. He asked me how I did that and then said, "You deserve a raise!" Told him an all expense paid week at Temiskaming would be sufficient. He said I drive a hard bargain!!
I'm finally getting a system so that I can keep abreast of everything. It is a modified way of how we did things at State Farm. Ross always had us keep a set of folders with a folder for each day of the month. So I would have 31 folders numbered 1, 2, etc. When I work on any specific item and I am going to have to work on it later, I file it in the folder for that day. Then on a calendar I make a short note on that day reminding me. Thus when the follow-up day comes along I pull out the folder and the material would be in it. My desk is starting to get cleaned off as I do this.
At Costco tonight as we were finishing up, the guy who had been standing behind us while we were waiting asked, 'Elder, how are you doing?' Found out his wife is a member, but he isn't. Said she hadn't been to church for about a month for various reasons. Told him I hoped she would be back soon, and that he would come with her. He said he knew he was welcome, but it wasn't his time yet. Said that the time would probably come though. We sincerely hope so!
Well, I had better close for the night. Hope everyone is well and that your prayers are being answered.
Love,
Dad/Bob

2 comments:

  1. Just got all caught up on your blog! Sounds like you are really starting to enjoy your mission. Florida is so hot and humid right now, we rarely go outside. Our neighbor found a baby gator walking down our street at the back entrance. Mama was probably in the lake. Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My advice is stay clear of the lake and carry a big gun!! We miss all of you.

    ReplyDelete