Sunday 1 January 2017

January 1, 2017

Bob: Cannot believe it is 2017. I remember when most everyone thought Jan 1, 2000 would be the start of world wide problems. People were in a panic that computers would not know what to do going from 1999 to 2000. Millions were spent on preparations for all sorts of anticipated disasters.
Got home late last night and when Bonnie went to bed I forgot about the blog. We went to a New Years Eve party at the Branch. At 10:00 we set the clock up to 12:00 and welcomed in the new year. We started the evening at 8:00 and played games that Jakob's 3 children could participate in, Pictionary and 'Do You Love Your Neighbor?' At 9:00 I fired up our waffle maker and made Belgium waffles for everyone. We had berries, whipping cream, maple syrup, butter and Nutella for toppings. Every one enjoyed them.
It snowed very lightly all day yesterday and just a little today. I think I cleaned the car off 3 times yesterday and Brother Cambridge cleaned it off after the party while I was helping to clean up and pack up things.
Yesterday I went to the 'Common Room' to see if the Alabama/Washington game was on. It was not. Norm, who lives here, stuck his head in the room and told me not to forget that 2 important US football games were on today. I told him the games weren't on the cable. He came in and tried to find them, but couldn't. He said he had to do something outside but he would be back shortly. When he came back he said, "Come with me". He took me to his apartment where we watched the Alabama game and the Junior Hockey game between Canada and the USA. He was rooting for Washington and Canada. Both lost. I left after the game, but he was excited to watch Ohio State. He really likes them. As you know they got shutout. Don't know if he will ask me to come see the National Championship on January 9th or not!!
At church there was a sparse crowd today. There were 23 for Sacrament and 2 of them left as soon as the Sacrament was passed. After the meetings, while Bonnie was in the weekly Relief Society Meeting I went with the Elders to take the Sacrament to Sister Huywan.
I'll let Bonnie tell you about the rest of her day.
Love to all and good night brothers.
Dad/Bob

Bonnie: Happy New Year, everyone! I pray for a great year ahead.
Today my Relief Society lesson went well even though there were only 5 sisters there, plus me. When Bob and I both got home after church we decided to take some potatoes to Sister Margetson. Bob accidentally bought 50 pounds instead of 10 pounds the other day, so we had plenty to share. While we were chatting with her, Rob came in and talked to us as well. He is her border and is not a member of the church. Ann gave us mince pies to eat. They are the size of a butter tart, and very delicious. And she also told us about Christmas crackers. This is a British tradition. The cracker is about 10" long and is round with a place to pull on each end. Two people pull it apart, and inside there is a toy and some candy and a little saying. She wants me to look for them so we can take them home with us for next Christmas! We'll see about that. I doubt there are any left. Then, after dinner tonight I went to talk to Lois, an elderly lady to whom we gave a Book of Mormon. She had lots of questions, and is so enjoyable to talk with. We probably spent an hour talking about religion. I was able to share Moroni 10:4-5 and tell her my experience gaining my testimony of the Book of Mormon. She wants me to get a large print copy and she will pay for it! As the former manager of a book store she knows that books don't come cheap these days. Anyway, our beliefs don't quite match up, but we do have a lot in common. And, I think she enjoys the company.
It's getting late and I need to go to bed earlier than I did last night so I will sign off.
Love, Mom/Bonnie


No comments:

Post a Comment