Monday 25 May 2015

May 24, 2015

Bonnie:  It’s been a wonderful Sabbath. We went to the ward we’ve been attending for the last two weeks for the last time, (until we have family come to see us!) One thing that made it special was a Downs Syndrome priest giving one of the sacrament prayers with the help of his father. It touched my heart. The couple we are replacing, the Gillens, were giving their final talks and we wanted to hear them.  They gave wonderful talks and I felt like Sister Gillen was talking just to me! I’m feeling stressed right now because there is so much to learn and we’ll be on our own soon. Sis. Gillen’s words had a calming effect on me. Prayers for us would be great—that we can learn all we need to before they leave.  Then, we had about 45 minutes to get to our new ward, the Churchville YSA (young single adults) ward.  What great young adults! It’s a very diverse ward. Most of them are the only member of the church in their families. There is lots of work to do because there are many YSA who are not coming. For now we are just to “meet and mingle” with them. Church does not start until noon and afterwards every Sunday, except for Fast Sunday, food is served in the cultural hall! I’m sure I will be asked to help provide the food at some point. When family comes we’ll attend our original ward so that the grandchildren will get to go to Primary and YW/YM. So, it’s been another long day, leaving about 9:30 and returning about 4:30 pm. I’m finding out that that’s just a normal part of being on a mission!
Yesterday I found out that we can get another couch, so that the furniture in our living room matches. The church provides a couch and two recliners for the senior couples. That will make me very happy. Right now half of the living room is blue and half of the room is in gold and browns. We’ll take pictures when I have everything the way I want it.
We should get the internet Tuesday afternoon and with that phone service.  I can’t wait. I miss hearing the voices of family and friends! May all of you be blessed this beautiful Sabbath Day.

Bob: Both Sacrament Meetings were special in their own way. In the Creditview Ward one of the Priests blessing the sacrament has Downs Syndrome. His dad helped him by reading a couple words and then the Priest would repeat the words. It was very special. I hope our friends in WV, the Ingold’s, have done this with Danny. Of course the talks by the Gillens were good. Elder Gillen stood right up to give the final talk and he didn’t have one note in his hands. He started by relating part of their experience from visiting Palmyra last week. An elder there said to them that he was sure they knew the story of the first vision, but if they didn’t mind he would like to bear his testimony to them of it. Elder Gillen said a flood of memories came over him as he remembered serving his mission in the Palmyra area and bearing his testimony of the first vision.
When we went to the YSA Sacrament Meeting the first person the Bishop had speak was his 2nd Counselor, who was attending the YSA Ward for the first time. He told of being in the church for over 40 years and of being introduced to the gospel by a young girl that attended church in her own home. He said she lived 100 miles north of North Bay and a 100 miles south of Timmins. In my mind I was thinking that is probably near New Liskeard where we were last summer. When the meeting was over I went up and asked him if he knew Warren Cambridge as I believe Warren started holding church services in his home in that area many years ago. The man got the biggest smile on his face and said, “Warren is my father-in-law!!” Then we remembered meeting each other last summer when the Cambridge’s had their family reunion in New Liskeard.
The 2nd speaker was a young man from India. He stood up to talk and said he wanted to offer a prayer before we began. He bowed his head and offered a short vocal prayer and then proceeded to give his talk. It was very spiritual and very touching. I told him later that I had never seen anyone humbly give a prayer prior to a talk. It added a lot to the reverence of the meeting.
The munch and mingle after church was over was great. Met a lot of the young people. They are from all over. Talked to one man who is about 2 inches taller than me who is going to school at Southern Virginia. He’s home for the summer working and getting married. He is from Nigeria. Another young man just got home from a mission in France, Belgium and Luxemburg. Elder Barrett told me the munch and mingle is funded by the church. I think they have a committee set up to serve, etc. I’m looking forward to it!! I told one lady I didn’t know who was responsible for today’s rice dish, but I didn’t know you could make rice taste that well. Another great thing is that church doesn’t start till noon!!!! Elder and Sister Barrett from North Dakota also are serving there. They go early to pick up some young people for church so I think we’ll be doing that too. They have a special FHE scheduled tomorrow night at the Stake Center to put together some hygiene kits for those in need. The Stake President told the Branch President that he didn’t think the Branch could get it done so the Branch President is trying to get as many there as possible to prove him wrong.
Sister Gillen brought this point up in Sacrament Meeting: ‘Are my actions representative of my purpose?’ I need to contemplate that for a while.
Hope everyone has had a great weekend. Love to everyone.
Bob/Dad and Bonnie/Mom



No comments:

Post a Comment